April 2018 Review
About 3 min reading time
This post was migrated from my previous blog managed by an old CMS. Some parts may be broken or poorly formatted, images may be missing, etc. Feel free to report an issue.
More consistent productivity, turning 25 and getting a new iPad are the April highlights.
Overall, my productivity dropped very slightly, but I met my 5-hour all productive time goal at a higher rate, so it would seem that my productivity level was at least more consistent, if nothing else.
- Productivity pulse of 74 (-1)
- Met All Productive Time goal 15/21 days
- Average 5h 9m (-11m) productive time per day
RescueTime Top 5 Categories:
- Software Development (37%)
- Communication & Scheduling (28%)
- Social Networking (10%)
- Business (9%)
- Utilities (5%)
My productive and distracting time correlations are a bit weaker, which jives with meeting my productive time goal more consistently. Still looks like I get to Friday and just eat a whole lot more food, and what better way to kick off a weekend, really?
- I’m more productive on Tuesdays (19%) and log more distracting time on Wednesdays (18%)
- I consume more calories on Fridays (29%)
- I receive more emails on Mondays (37%)
Late April saw a turn for the better in the weather, and I got outside to walk a bit more. Also glad to see my average calorie intake is up, as keeping my weight up is a constant struggle.
- Average of 8,410 steps / day (+16.5%)
- Average of 2,186 calories / day (+4.3%)
- Average of 7h 7minutes of sleep / night (-1%)
- Average weight of 140.0lbs (+0.1%)
- Average body fat percentage of 11.4% (+1.7%)
- I spent 83.9% of my income
It would seem that on Thursday I get hopped up on coffee and fire off a bunch of tweets. Slight decrease in correlation between better days in sleep, but I track coffee more when I sleep less, so maybe coffee makes me feel better? If not, looks like it might be the carbs.
- I tweet more on Thursdays (27%) and track “coffee” more on Thursdays (22%)
- I track “coffee” more when I spend less time asleep (39%)
- I have more great days when I spend more time sleep (15%)
- I have a better day when I eat more carbs (22%)
Have fun on my birthday
Pretty simple celebration - company took me out to lunch and held a happy hour at a bar after work. Was very fun, indeed!
- Draft the actual content for my new website
Managed to let this slip again. It’s the thing I keep thinking about whenever I review a month, but don’t really think about day to day. I’m going to solve for that this month.
Replace my iPad
I have a new, 6th-generation iPad! Definitely preferring the size over the mini I used to have. Very happy to have replaced it.
- Increase automatic savings transfers to 12.5% of my income
If found that the full month with 10% of my income automatically being whisked away into various savings accounts was not difficult to budget around. I’m going to increase the automatic transfers to account for 12.5% of my income and adjust the rest of my budget accordingly.
- Try a physical planner
I’ve considered using a physical journal / planner for goals and to-dos before but never committed to anything. I like the idea of a bullet journal but never thought I’d stick to a system like that. I also didn’t really find a planner I really liked - until just recently. Someone I follow on Twitter tweeted about and when I asked recommended a Passion Planner. It looks like it’ll be a nice mix of daily / weekly focus and “bigger picture” planning. The 2018 dated ones are 50% off, making it inexpensive enough to give it a shot. If you happen to order one yourself, be sure to use my email address in the referral (firstname.lastname@example.org)!
- Write my new site content (for real)
I’ve added an always-open note (I always have the Stickies app open) on my work computer, so I will more regularly see the note to draft the content for my new site. I’m hoping the constant reminder will be enough to get me to actually do it.